From:
Angela M Preimesberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 1996 18:24:46 PST
Our two foster ferrets have been with us for about a week now.  Plently of
time to notice odd behavior.

Cee Cee -

Our spare bedroom (the ferret's room) is full of stuffed animals and lately
I noticed that they have been all over the floor.  So of course liking my
house to be somewhat organized (as much as you can with ferrets!) I
chastised myself for being messy.  Found out that night that it wasn't me.
Cee Cee has a stuffed animal fettish.  She is determined to put every
stuffed animal in her hidey hole (a small drawer with a 3in opening).  She
sleeps with two little ones in there.  My husband came home from working a
midshift and woke me up saying, "Look honey, watch this!" as he tossed a big
(2ft) stuffed animal across the room.  Off tromps Cee Cee after it.  Still
confused (and tired) I watched her check it out.  Realization hit when she
grabbed it by the ear and starts dragging it off to her hidey hole!  She
climbs inside and TUGS and TUGS.  When tired of tugging she decides that
that is good enough and waltzes off the find another animal.  After about 6
animals are piled in front of her hidey hole, I decided to put a stop to it
before all 100 or so wind up there too.  Once I started moving them, she put
them under the bed and I, realizing the stubborness of a ferret, graciously
gave in.  At least they are put up.

Be Be -

Be Be is still too weak to do too much except eat and sleep.  I tell you
what - that boy EATS!  Continuously.  Well anyway I have been feeding them
fattening up formula.  I dipped my finger in it and let him eat it off there
before giving it too him for the first time.  He grabbed my finger and took
off running.  YEEOUCH!  He wouldn't let go either.  My finger tasted real
good and he wanted it!  He likes to eat chunky food underneath the bed,
unless it's his regular food, then the bowl will do.  I make sure to watch
my fingers now!

So far both have adjusted well.  No fights with Gumbi and Duncan.  Cee Cee
squealed once or twice when cornered by one of mine the first couple of
days.  Now, she'll whip anybody (except Duncan who is 3 times her weight and
size) but she tries.  When she squealed, my two went running - scared them
silly.  Be Be now weighs 1.5lb and Cee Cee is up to 1.1lbs.

Angela