Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 1994 08:11:24 EST
To Edward, Kili, and Fili:

        Not all ferrets fatten up this time of year.  But the thin hair and the
granular feces are somewhat concerning.  Of course, thin hair may be an early
sign of adrenal disease, one of the two most common diseases in the ferret.  The
granular feces suggests, but is not diagnostic of intestinal malabsorption.
Tissues with high levels of undigested material take on a birdseed quality.  As
long as her appetite and activity is good, we are probably not dealing with an
emergency, but I think a trip to the vet and a thorough checkup is probably
worthwhile in this instance.  With more information, we are more likely to find
a problem(if there is one there).

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 782-2600/2602                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000