From:
"Kathy S. Mullett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 1997 09:18:13 -0400
I just recently "inherited" a very sick ferret.  The little guy is probably
about 5-6 weeks old.  He barely has teeth and has to be fed by hand.  He was
bought from a local pet store and the following day I was contacted because
he "wasn't acting right".  When I got him, he was very lethargic and could
barely open his eyes!  I tried to get him to drink some water.  I noticed
that his belly was distended and that he had anal prolapse.  He was pale and
obviously dehydrated.  I took him the the vet and was basically told that I
should think twice about taking this little guy in-that it would be expensive
to do testing and that he might not make it!

Even though he was NOT my ferret, I HAD to do everything I could for him!
One of the fecal tests came back positive for coccidia.  This is a highly
contagious intestinal parasite.  The vet gave me some medication for him and
told me to keep him isolated (away from my other pets-8 ferrets, 3 cats, 3
hamsters, and 1 hedgehog).  The medication is a 6-day treatment plan and the
ferret needs to have a repeat fecal test in 2 weeks.

In the meantime, I found out that he may have been exposed to canine
distemper!  This pet store has had a history of selling pets with distemper!
Another vet was contacted and he told us that he was just down at this store
treating for distemper!  If that is the case, the poor little guy doesn't
stand a chance!

The original owner of this pet wants her money back.  She doesn't seem to
care whether or not the ferret lives!  She has already contacted several
companies and threatened to take legal action, etc.

Can anyone give me advice?  If I agree to pay her the $230 for the ferret
and he dies, then I am out of the money.  On the other hand, if I give him
back to her, she will take him back to the pet store and GOD only knows what
will happen to him then!  I've already paid $55 for vet fees on this ferret.
It seems like I am the only one who cares about him!  I CAN'T give him up!
I don't want to see him die!  But, technically he is NOT my ferret!  HELP!

P.S. Can anyone tell me how canine distemper is transmitted among ferrets?
Can a ferret who has been vaccinated get it?  What about my hedgehog?

I would GREATLY appreciate any input or advice!

Kathy