From:
Tatia Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 17:09:12 -0500
Chris,
yes, ferrets are indeed trainable.  For years my SO and I thought they were
not, but we were wrong.  We currently have 2 male ferts who will roll over
on command (for a treat of course) or whenever they want something that you
have.

We started out training them with some watered down Coca-Cola after we found
that they love the stuff.  (actually, they love whatever you have in your
glass!) We would roll them over with our hands and then praise them and give
a drop of cola.  Within a week, they were rolling over by themselves for a
raisin or whatever.  We have only taught them the rolling over trick, but
several of our now departed ferts would stand up on their hind legs and
"beg" for a treat.  The trick is to find some reward that you can give in
very tiny amounts.  That way a session can last for a while without giving
them too many treats.

Good luck and have fun.
Tatia