From:
Marc Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 11:56:02 EDT
meagan quinn <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>the meds have always caused a foaming at ther mouth (saliva as she tries to
>urge it from her mouth).  the vet did recommend blowing on her nose to get
>her to swallow.  that helps a little.  but now, she is pushing her toungue
>to the back of her throat and trying to stop it from going down!!  then,
>she lets out a bit KACK!  and the meds are all over me.

Yep, that's what my Bandit did when I gave him Metronidazole.  I wore most
of the meds while i was using the scruff ferret/administer meds using
syringe method.

>any suggesitons what to mix it with.

I finally had to mix it with my "Duck Soup" recipe (1 can wet ferret food,
Nutrical, Ferretone, ground Totally Ferret kibbles and water ... sometimes
raisin water if I'm feeling magnanimous).

I had to give Bandit 0.6ml of the Metronidazole twice daily.  I mixed it
with 1 teaspoon (roughly) of the "Duck Soup" mixture and then fed it to him.
He knew the meds were in it but he couldn't stop eating it (he loves the
"Duck Soup"!).  He still had a bit of foaming at the mouth but not nearly as
much as when I gave him the Metronidazole straight.

I recently had to give him 1ml prednisone twice daily and for this I mixed
the meds with 2 teaspoons of the "Duck Soup" mixture.  I think this masked
the medicine's flavor since he eagerly gobbled the "medicated" mixture
whereas he did the gagging routine with the straight prednisone.

My suggestion to you is to try mixing the Metronidazole with a "Duck Soup"
mixture that you know your ferrets like.  You might have to play around with
how much "Duck Soup" to use based on the size of your ferrets ... Bandit is
a 3.5 lb male so he could eat the 10cc-14cc of meds/food mixture at one
sitting (and sometimes begged for more!).

Hope this helps!

Marc Wilson and the New Tres Amigos (Bandit, Slinky and Chloe)
Bandit:  "Get this gross stuff ... hey, wait a minute, this tastes pretty
          good!"
Slinky:  "I'll take my medicine but I must make this ferrocious face to
          show you that I really don't like it!"
Chloe:  "OK, I'll take my meds but you have to play with me afterwards!"