From:
Melody Tomaszewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2006 09:12:19 -0400
Jo-

I'm pretty sure you're talking about adrenal disease.  That will make
him bald.  If you vet approves, Lupron shots or melatonin implants can
help with the symptoms.  I also had one die of adrenal disease.  After
three surgeries for it, I wasn't about to put her through a fourth,
especially as she was elderly at the time.

I'll tell you when *I* know it's time.  When the disease (whatever it is)
causes the ferret to get so weak that he loses interest in eating and
drinking, and even supplementary feedings with duck soup don't give him
energy to play.  When you bring him out for playtime, and he takes just
a few steps and lies down or has his hind legs collapse.  The thing that
makes me sure it's time is when he no longer has the strength to hold
himself up out of his messes.  I have several ill ferrets who now miss
the box, and it's no big deal, I just clean it up.  But when he excretes
waste and then collapses into it, it's getting very close to the time
to end it.  Especially if he then lacks the strength to groom himself.
Skin irritation from this makes them miserable.

Now here is a metaphysical sign.  I don't know how sensitive you are to
your boy, but when mine are ready to go, I can feel the "pull" on their
soul to go to the bridge.  The best way to describe it is that when I
pick him or her up, it feels like there is an invisible "rope" attached
to the middle of the ferret, and it is pulling upwards.  He will feel
lighter to you than he really is.... He might weigh exactly the same as
yesterday, but still "feels" lighter.  And there is usually a far away
look in their eyes.... They sort of zone out--like they're seeing where
they want to go.

YMMV--but that's when I know it's time.

Melodyt and the fantastic four

--
Melody Tomaszewicz
Holdings Record Maintenance Team Leader

             \(_   \(_

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."