From:
Rebecca carlton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:25:00 -0400
I have been a ferret owner, or should I say owned by my ferrets, for
about 2 1/2 years now.  I have been a member of the FML since around the
beginning of the year.  I enjoy both immensely.  My ferrets make me laugh
and smile even at times when I don't feel much like laughing or smiling.
They add so much joy to my day and my life.

I found my first one, my little girl one day when I was at a local flea
market.  I walked by a reptile dealer and noticed a small rabbit cage in
the corner that these big snakes were all looking at.  Inside of that
cage was a small fuzzy creature and I asked what it was.  "A ferret," I
was told.  I had never actually seen or held a ferret so I was curious.
I looked into those beautiful eyes and I was hooked.  The owner of the
shop said she was traded in on a snake the night before.  This poor
little girl sat there all night being stared at by snakes who thought she
would make a nice lunch!!  I had to take her home.  I must admit, those
teeth were intimidating.  It took me a few days to figure out how to
handle her.  Luckily my little girl was so patient with me.  She snuggled
me and gave me kisses.  She was around 8 months old and so sweet.  Then
last year I figured that she might want a friend.  Through a very ferret
wise gentleman in Miami I was put in touch with a ferret shelter near
Tampa about 2 hours away and went and adopted my boy.  I can honestly say
that I agree with Lily's parents, boys sure liven' up the place!  So that
is my story.  I have been looking for a 3rd to add to my family, ferret
math you know.

I have a couple of thoughts that I would like to share on the subject of
ferrets.

First, I believe that every creature on this earth has a purpose.
Sometimes it just takes a while to figure out what that purpose is.  I
believe that a ferret's purpose is to heal hearts.  To make us smile and
feel joy again.  Between the ages of 34-40 I lost my husband, my mom, my
dad, a 17 year old lab/shep mix and a 13 year old rotty.  I had a lot of
sadness in me.  After finding Slinky, watching that little girl romp and
play, dance and jump just made me smile.  A little bit more each day.
They are healers, I'm sure of it.

I have read posts on this site, some make me smile, some make me cry.
Recently there have been a few that stuck with me and I want to send a
message to those people.  To those who have lost ferrets recently I send
out my deepest sympathy.  Only time and looking into your other sweet
little ferrety faces will bring you peace.  The ones that have really
stuck with me are the posts which say they are done with ferrets.  Those
people who have had several ferrets and now have lost their last one.
The people who are going to give up.  That makes me so sad.  It makes me
wonder how they will ever completely heal.  To those people I say PLEASE
don't give up on these beautiful fuzzy creatures.  Go to a shelter and
volunteer, go to a pet store and play with the single lonely ferret that
hasn't been sold yet.  Keep them in your life and one day, maybe, you
will get a wet little kiss from some funny faced fuzzy and you will smile
again.  And maybe, just maybe you will bring him home with you.  Those
are my words of wisdom for what they are worth.

Secondly, and I know this is getting long, in the last couple of weeks
there have been many posts talking about ferrets stealing items around
the house.  There was even a really cute little film about a ferret
stealing a computer mouse.  All this got me thinking about my little
girl, about when I got her and the things she steals.  So I wrote a poem.

The Little Thief

She stole my heart, Right from the start. The first moment I saw her,
She stole my heart.
She stole the keys to my house, Snuck them away as quiet as a mouse.
She stole the TV remote, Found it the next day in the pocket of my coat.
She stole my soap, On a rope, Even when I said "Nope", Will I be able to
cope?
She stole my favorite T-shirt, She is such a little squirt.
She stole my good pen, I don't even remember when, Should I slowly count
to ten?
Most Of All.......
She stole my heart, Right from the start. The first moment I saw her,
She stole my heart.
She was so smart, To look at me with those sparkly eyes.
Sending out those silent cries, Rescue me, rescue me, take me home.
I promise, I promise, I will never roam.
The little thief. The wonderful, beautiful, smart, adorable, sweet
little thief.
She stole my heart, Right from the start.
The first moment I saw her, She stole my heart.

So there it is, my first little contribution to the mailing list.  I hope
you all enjoyed the poem.  I just sent it in to Ferrets Magazine, so
maybe you will see it in print someday.  And by the way, my little girl
is a star.  Her picture is also in Ferrets Magazine.  I know, there are
probably 200 pictures of ferrets in each issue, but I am still proud as
a peacock, as my dad would say.

Lastly, I am wondering if there are any ferret people in the south west
Florida area.  Lee, Charlotte, Collier counties?  If so, please e-mail.
There are no shelters, groups, meetings or anything of the sort that I
can find in this area that deal with ferrets.  Maybe we can get something
started down this way.

I have learned a lot from this mailing list, met some great people, got
in on my first card exchange.  Thanks to all who make it possible, and
all who contribute!!

Dooks to all,
Rebecca, Slinky Sue and Shadow too!