From:
Kevin Farlee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 2010 07:53:54 -0800
How do you prevent dental problems for ferrets?

How do you prevent them for yourself?

Regular trips to the dentist for cleaning, and you brush your teeth.

There are lots of kinds of toothpaste, but the one I really like to use
is C.E.T. which is only sold at vets. It's not prescription, but that's
the only place I've found it.

It contains enzymes which continue to break down plaque after you've
brushed.

How to do it?

When you're cleaning ears and have the Q-tips out anyway, put a bit
of toothpaste on a Q-tip and scruff the ferret. Rub the Q-tip on the
ferret's teeth and gums, all around.

I don't worry about the inside, and if they chomp down on the Q-tip
(mine really like the taste, it's poultry flavored), that's just fine,
they're brushing their teeth for you.

Rubbing on the gums helps keep gum disease away, which can lead to
other issues as well.

If the Q-tip comes out pink or red at first, that's OK. As you do it
regularly, maybe even daily at first, the gums will heal and stop
bleeding.

It's easy, my ferrets don't really mind, especially compared to
getting their ears cleaned, and it does keep their teeth healthy.

Kevin Farlee