From:
Charles Onken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2002 20:35:59 -0400
My wife called me at work at 3:45 this afternoon.  She said, "Snowball is
in trouble."  I came home.  Snowball's breathing was very shallow and his
eyes had that look.  It was time.  I called the vet and he passed to the
Bridge at 5:00 pm.  I held him as the vet helped him cross.

Snowball was another throwaway ferret.  He was purchased as a present for
the children of an acquaintance of ours.  Of course, the new soon wore of,
and "it" was just something else to take care of.  We added Snowball to
Cujo and Bandit in early 1995.  He was about six months old, so he almost
made it to eight years of age.  He had the double ear tattoo of Marshall
Farms.  He was a red eyed white, a true albino.

At night, as I watched TV, he would stand up at the door of the cage
and stare at me.  I would take him out, and he would sleep in my arms.
Sometimes for and hour, sometimes for only a few minutes.  Five or six
mornings a week, he would stand on the top floor of the cage and again
just watch me as I moved around the house.  This was my signal to get a
raisin, break it into four or five pieces, take him out, sit on the floor
and let him eat the raisin pieces from my hand.  The rest of the day, he
wasn't that interested in raisins, but it was our little morning ritual.
He rests in our back yard, with Cujo and Bandit.

That leaves us with Valentine, and the statement from my wife that we are
through with ferrets.  Too hard to keep having to watch them leave.  That
statement was made about six months ago, when we first noticed Snowball
really slowing down.  When the fuzzies had their play time, he would come
up missing.  He could be found curled up sleeping someplace.  Sometimes
he would only play for a few minutes, sometimes for an hour, but not as
much as Valentine the last few months.  He would rather sleep than play.

A few weeks ago, the nephew of a lady I work with told her that with the
coming of their baby this month, they did not think they would have time
for their ferret (a little female) and the new human baby.  Guess who wins
and who loses?  So, knowing that I had ferrets, the lady at work asked if
I would be interested.  "My wife will say No," was my reply.  Upon telling
my wife about the conversation that evening, she said, "Well, Snowball
will be leaving and that will mean that Valentine will be all alone.  I
suppose she should have a playmate."  So much for "No More Ferrets".
Will we get another little female to join Valentine?  Don't know yet.
Her owners haven't had the baby.  Will let you know.

As for now, we are mourning the loss of Snowball.  He leaves another hole
on our hearts, as do they all when they leave.  But I remember our evening
"naps" and our morning raisin, and his bright red eyes and the way he
would rub his nose on your ankle, just to let you know he was passing by.

And he is not really gone.  He lives in our hearts.  I have only to turn
the TV down, lean back, close my eyes, and he is sleeping in my arms.

Goodbye, Snowball.  We love you, old man.

Charlie, Ag, Donna and Valentine
Missing Cujo, Bandit and Snowball