From:
GALE PUTT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 1995 09:59:47 -0500
I am a wildlife rehabilitator and, of course, our ferrets are kept as
isolated as possible from the injured and orphaned wildlife that we
care for.  Since I specialize in carnivores, and we service the mink
and weasels in the area we have been very careful to make sure our
ferrets are vaccinated and never have contact with our patients.
The problem:
Sarcoptic mange has stricken our large fox population.  Almost every
sick or injured fox coming in also has sarcoptic mange. We have never
had a mink, raccoon, opposum, or weasel come in with mange.  Do domestic
ferrets get this type of mange easily? Is there something that can be
given to them propylactically so they won't get it.  I worry that even
though we shower and change clothes after caring for the foxes we may
still carry it to our ferrets.  People do get infected while caring for
animals with it and I worry that if I do, I can carry it to the ferrets
even after showering and changing clothes.
The foxes ivermectin and cefa for secondary infections works on the foxes
but I need information on sprays for clothing and also for the animal
areas.  I would appreciate any information from anyone who has delt with
this and had ferrets at the same time.  Please excuse the typos, if I do
not choose edit mode first, I can't go back and correct them, and I forgot to.
  Gale Putt