From:
Linda Doran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 2013 11:23:12 -0800
Hi, all.

When I visited New Zealand earlier this year, I was told the reason
ferrets are illegal is that their presence endangers native birds.
Similar to the situation in Hawaii, the island nation's native birds
(those that remain, such as the national emblem, the kiwi) are being
wiped out. Department of Conservation employees have set traps baited
with poison in national parks to eradicate ferrets/polecats from the
wild.

I'm sorry to hear that pet ferrets were seized and killed.

Linda