From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 19:07:04 -0500
>vet said, the cortizone will reverse his problem, but the only way
>to really give him an accurate diagnosis is to have an MRI done.

Dear X:

Neurological diseases are by far the most frustrating cases in ferret
medicine.  The skull is very much of a black box, and does not yield clues
easily.  Marked changes are only rarely reflected in bloodwork or other
routine tests.

While an MRI would be handy, there is also a very good chance that no
definitive lesion will be found.

One thing to remember, though, is that ferrets are excellent fighters,
and many ferrets that people were tempted to give up on recovered beyond
anyone's expectation.  Is it the treatment, or simply the tincture of
time?  I'd like to say it was the steroids or antibiotics, but that might
simply be a boast on my part.

I know your vet, and you are getting the finest care for ferrets around -
even better than at the vet school (and considerably cheaper)

I can imagine how frustrating it is, but I know that Stinky appreciates
all your efforts.  Now if you can just come up with a more sophisticated
moniker,

Hang in there,
Bruce Williams, DVM