From:
Bridget Ebeling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 07:33:55 -0700
I've been the happy companion to three wonderful boys for going on 4yrs
and talked about them endlessly.  People visit my boys see how playful
they are, that they come when I call their names, and do other "tricks"
and start thinking of buying one.  Now I have to admit I seem to
discourage this and I have good reason (actually 3 big reasons are now
living with the boys and me).  Ferrets are WONDERFUL, but, they are not
fish that can be left in a "cage" for long periods without contact they
do need love and playtime and LOTS of care.

I received three new babies 3wks ago with the assurances that they had
been to the vet and had shots and various other, shall we say fibs.  Well
after a week of no return phone calls/e-mails (I wanted the vets name or
to have their records faxed to my vet) I have to assume that they haven't
been to the vet and that they may have been abused.  The male and the red
female waddle, this could be because they are obese, but are friendly and
loveable.  The problem is the grey female is a biter, now my albino
Pooh-Body was a biter but this little girl takes the cake, as well as a
nice chunk of my chin and wrist (unfortunately I'm not exaggerating).  I
let her out to play with the others (and she plays well with all of them)
but if there is a human within her reach she immediately targets them and
races to bite (more like tries to tear a piece off not just bite and run)
I'm gentle with her and don't grab her I speak in normal tones or
whispers and when I must pick her up I stroke her gently and give her
food in my gloves.  (Sorry I've taken the long route)  Should I do
something different?  I don't know.  If I can't help her I'm afraid
she'll be put down.  I have an appt with my vet on the 29th (the soonest
available) please help me with Lady Greyhawk.

Bridget and crew - Mr Weasel (the big cheese), Stanbaby(just hold me),
Pooh-Body(yep that blur was him) and Lady La Rue, Lady Greyhawk, Mr Mitts