From:
Thor Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 08:47:26 -0700
HI Everyone,
I haven't been writing any posts for a while, but i decided to as i keep
reading about time outs,

Here is what bothers me, i know that some people find it useful sometimes
and i wont argue with that, what i do feel is wrong, is using a sick cage,
or a carrier or a cage that is used on other occassions, because as you
are doing that you are giving the ferret the wrong idea.  The cage,
carrier or sick cage is not meant to be a place for punishment, if you
send a child to his room when he has done something wrong, the child will
resent being in his room even for play, we want our ferrets to feel safe
and at rest in their cages right?

I would suggest using an upside down laundry basket or so for the time
outs, or get a cheap rabbit cage (i'd hate to put a rabbit in it) that
will not be used for the ferrets otherwise.

This is just a suggestion, we want to train our ferrets (LOL) the best
we can, but i think we need to realize what kind of associations we are
teaching them, if we keep putting a missbehaving ferret in his cage does
that mean that at night they are all being punished?  i would think that
they feel that way...

We should make their cages comfortable and safe, a happy place where they
receive cuddles and a treat, not for punishment.

Just my .50 on the subject, i just think it's a good rule that is not
confusing to the ferret.

Anyone agree?
Sincerely
Josephine