From:
Katherine Kuckens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 1996 09:40:50 -0400
Dear Yo Land Morris,

I am a fairly new ferret owner so I understand how you feel.  However, I am
afraid you don't understand your ferrets very well yet.  First of all, your
ferrets are still BABIES.  The behavior you are describing is TYPICAL ferret
behavior.  This is how ferrets act!  They don't need more caging or training
- it is YOU who must change.  You need to work WITH them.  They are trying
to climb out of the room because they want to interact freely with you, play
with you, love you, explore, etc.  Of course they poop in the corners - that
is where you must put the litter boxes or folded newspaper.  You can't make
them stop pooping in the corners, but you can save yourself aggravation by
simply putting a box or paper there.  Ferrets want to climb and roam.  If
you try to prevent them from doing this they will be more and more
frustrated and more crazy.  You SHOULD let them run around to work off the
energy.  Ferrets are not gerbils or hamsters who sit quietly in a cage.  If
you are unhappy with the way ferrets act, it might be possible that you have
selected the wrong pet.  They need MORE of your love and attention, not more
training.  I guess this sounds like I am flaming you or being mean, and I
apologize in advance.  It's just that ferrets are not for everyone.
Sometimes people buy ferrets without realizing how much time and care they
will need, and we've all seen too many cases where well-meaning pet owners
got overwhelmed.  So please carefully consider whether ferrets are the right
pet for you, and don't feel bad if it's more work than you expected.  Not
everyone has the time or will to care for ferrets in the way they need.  If
you decide not to keep them, there are many people here and elsewhere who
will gladly help you.  Again, I apologize if I sound really mean.  Please
don't be mad and please let us know what you decide to do.

Kat

P.S.  SCOTT and TERESA please don't put your ferrets in an aquarium - it's
much too hot and not enough ventilation - all sorts of germs will ferment in
such an environment!

Gee I sound like Miss Know-It-All today.  There are so many of you out there
with lots more knowledge than me.  Sorry!