From:
Troy Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 11 Jun 1994 19:05:00 -0400
Jennifer and others -
There are states, counties, cities that quarantine ferrets instead of
needlessly killing them - Oregon treats ferrets the same as dogs and cats
in bite cases, Colorado and Ohio recognize quarantine periods and the
current Compendium of Animal Rabies Control no longer recommends ferrets
be killed and tested, therefore, each state/county/city may decide on
how to handle ferret bite cases on a case by case evaluation.  At my
meeting with Kansas State Epidemiologist Dr. Pelletier (KDHE) I was
informed that he would still "recommend" the test and kill procedure,
however, the county health office and county attorney have the authority
to recommend quarantine for animals that bite and this includes ferrets.

There are only three ways to fight the misinformation and ignorance of
our officials - litigation, legislation, and information - not necessarilly
in that order.   And make sure your ferret is vaccinated against rabies.

As for the rabies aspect - some officials believe that rabies is 100% fatal.
It is not - although I would not want to take a chance - I would opt for the
shots instead of having a dog or cat killed, and in the case of ferrets I am
not the least bit concerned.  This is my personal opinion and everyone else
must decide on their own.  Of course if the ferret came out of a wooded area
and looked as if it had bites on it and bit me, I'd opt for the shots
and quarantine the ferret.

For anyone wanting to get down to the nitty-gritty on rabies, I suggest you
visit a vet med library and check out The Natural History of Rabies, 2nd
Edition.  Have a medical dictionary ready if you aren't familiar with
scientific/medical terms.  This book will make you wonder why dogs and
cats can be quarantined for just 10 days.

Also, if anyone has copies of state regs on procedures concerning ferrets
and rabies - please send them to me at FFS, PO Box 186, Manhattan, KS
66502-0002.  I'm also the National Rabies Information Coordinator for
L.I.F.E. and an compiling all the info I can.

On descenting -
There are scent glands located in other parts of a ferrets body so removing
the ones in their little bottoms does not get rid of the problem so why do it.
Neutering takes away most of the odor and if you keep litter boxes, blankies
and the ferret itself clean you shouldn't have any problems.

Sorry for going on about the rabies issue but I could write pages more on what
I've researched so its difficult to just to scratch the surface.
Hugs to all fuzzies!  tle