From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:13:33 -0400
I have read that a total protein elevated over 7.5 is indicative of ADV.

I have a 3.5 year old ferret who has a total protein of 8.2 and has had
kidney and anemia issues over the past year. So far we have not found
any cause for his issues.

He was tested a couple years ago with the at-home saliva test and
tested negative. Yeah, I have come to realize that that means pretty
much jack squat and since that is the test we have used on all our
ferrets that it means they may as well have not been tested. Don't have
to tell me, I already know by now.

We are going to send off blood samples to Blue Cross probably early
next week (depending on when the rest of our supplies gets here). Until
then I would just like some indication of how likely it is that this is
ADV? I realize that no one can tell me for sure over the internet, but
if anyone has experienced ferrets with elevated total protein and could
share their experiences then that would be really helpful.

Sorry about posting this anon (never have before), but I know emotions
can run high about this subject and I really can't deal with angry
folks off-list right now. It would be too much in addition to all the
other worries....

[VW]

[Moderator's note: Can't imagine anyone being angry with you about
your poor ferret, but posted anonymously as you wished. Sending best
wishes and hoping your way. BIG]