From:
Lynn Foster or Chris Stephenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 07:39:23 -0400
Dear FML:

Today I called the Durham Humane Society.  The young woman I spoke to
acknowledged that the ferret had been starved and mistreated.  It was her
opinion that the Durham Police decided not to go ahead with cruelty charges
as this woman is already in so much trouble (the children had only been
with her for a few days as they had been siezed by the Children's Aid
because their living conditions were so filthy).

I can only assume the police are trying to show some compassion and I am
not insensitive to that but the bottom line is she will probably NOT get
her children back but CAN go out and own another pet.

The Whitby Animal Control at 1 905 427 8737 was were the ferret was killed.
There would have been an "evaluation by the vet" and hopefully that is a
record that can be accessed by the court system.

I strongly feel that any act of cruelty cannot and must not go unpunished.
I will be calling the Durham Police tomorrow at 1 905 579 1520 and asking
in the most firm but polite manner that charges for cruelty to this animal
be pressed.  Ideally what I would hope to accomplish is for a court order
forbidding her from pet ownership.  I will post promptly tomorrow and let
you know how this was received by the police.  If there are any officers or
ex officers of the law out there on this FML please help - your guys and
gals would know the ropes.  Those of you who live in Canada can also take
the time to email Honourable Minister Ms. Anne McLellan, Solicitor General
for Canada at [log in to unmask]

Her office is currently re-writing the cruelty to animal laws for Canada
and it might help to ask her to intervene and make sure charges are pressed.

Tonight, from some gentle star, a little, nameless face gazes down on us
all.  As a concerned and powerful group of animal lovers we must use our
power wisely and make sure this death was not in vain.

Lynn