Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 23:41:51 EDT
In a message dated 5/28/2003 11:54:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
>You mentioned a book about herbs for pets; are ferrets mentioned
>specifically or in combination with other small animals?

I ADD: So far I know of no writings on ferrets and herbs.  The Tilford's
book mentions several different animals, but not ferrets specifically.
The outcry is too great when you even try to bring up the subject.  Even
here on this list there has been a lot of outcry when I put up some
posts, so I have slacked off, as I have very little time.  This is my
growing season and I am constantly in the garden or making new remedies
for the coming year.

>Do you know of any specific provings for the various effects of herbs
>on ferrets?

I ADD: Herbs do not go through a "proving" as a homeopathic remedy or a
flower essence, and most people are appalled if you want to use a fuzzy
for testing.  Since I have used herbs for 14 years on all of our farm
animals it was a natural progression to use them for the fuzzies too.
I will use an herb before any allopathic medication on an animal.  As I
mentioned animals and human bodies are conditioned to recognize a
natural remedy faster and more completely than anything that has been
pharmaceutically altered.

>What are some of the treatments you use for your own fuzzies?

I ADD: I use a mixture of echinacea and hyssop throughout the winter
to boost immunity; pediatric echinacea (from my own line of pediatric
remedies) for eye infections; calendula spray for skin injuries; and
many of the flower remedies I posted about a few months ago.

>How does your vet feel about your uses?  Do they support you?

I ADD: I wouldn't have a vet for the farm who could not work with me
on the use of herbs.  Since we spend about $1,000 a month on vet care
for this farm, and our twin farm next door, they need to make me feel
comfortable.  Of course I grow all of my own herbs organically, and
make my own remedies (I have a pharmaceutical background).

If there is anything I can explain or help you with please feel free to
write.

Warmly ~
Mary L. Conley, ND, Herbalist
Conley Farm Organic Herbs