From:
kathryn terhune <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 May 1998 12:04:08 -0700
Todd raised some very good considerations about adopting our baby.  Upon
pondering this situation, I thank you for your interest in the baby, but
we have come to the conclusion that she is so ill mannered and maladjusted
that it is best to have her euthanized.

Melissa, I agree with you.  There are two types of owners; those that are
just plain irresponsible (don't do any research before hand, don't look at
what their circumstances are likely to be even in the *near* future), and
those who get some hard curve balls thrown at them.  I also can understand
the need to find a new home for your most beloved pets (and it is pets that
go rather than kids for two reasons; 1) there are laws now which make it
illegal for a landlord to bar children, 2) it is socially acceptable to
"get rid of" your animals (I'm sure these two are connected).

I also agree with you that some folks seem excessively greedy in the dollar
amounts they are asking for when they are "forced" to find a new home for
their fuzzies.  Okay, so you paid out $179.99 or whatever for the animal.
Like you said, the money is *gone.*  The percentage of folk who breed/sell
*any* animal and actually make a profit are very, *very slim.  The ones who
"break even" are a minority.  While I do endorse charging some fee for an
animal in order to discourage unethical folk who turn around and sell the
animal to research labs, I think that a much lower price is in order.  *If*
I was forced by some unforeseen circumstance to find a new home for Jester
or one of my cats, I might ask $20.00 - certainly fair and reasonable for a
young, healthy animal with all vaccinations, etc.  The only reason for
asking a fee at all is for the reason already stated.  *Of course* in terms
of $$$, I'd be losing my shirt!  You don't care for an animal well without
spending dollars... lots and lots of dollars!  But that is not the issue.
The issue is you have taken on the care of an animal.  If you can't fulfill
that duty, then find someone who can - never mind what you're losing in the
bargain.  My one attempt at breeding collies taught me that.  I breed my
champion-sired bitch to a champion stud.  I did all the right things with
the counsel of experienced breeders and vets.  I had three beautiful pups,
two of which had some show potential.  Theoretically, they should have sold
for upwards of $300 each (this was a whole lot of years ago).  No buyers.
So, I checked around and found three homes that I was as sure as I could be
would be good to them and gave them away - no charge, no strings.  The fact
that two of them lived long, happy lives with owners who cared enough to
keep in touch with me to the end was good enough for me.

Sorry I got rambling - I get that way when discussing people who, IMHO
attitude adjustment about animals <G>

(the other) Kat & Jester who is looking out the window at an
impressive hail storm (hey, I wanna go out and play in that mom!)