From:
Michelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 10:29:24 -0800
It has been a long time since I have written and I just thought I would
let everyone know that we here at Little Orphans Ferret Shelter & Rescue
located in Springfield, Ohio have many ferrets that are available for
adoption.  Several have already had vet checks and their shots and these
are the one's that are available for adoption at this time.  When the other
new comers get their shots then they will be up for adoption too.  We have
several pictures up on our website at this time, but many of the fuzzies
that are up for adoption haven't had their pictures taken yet because we
are in the process of moving to our new home.  (bought for us by my
in-laws)

Our shelter has already become full and overcrowded.  It is a real shame
that we have been receiving 5-8 calls and or e-mails a week from people
who want to get "rid of" their ferrets.  I just don't understand it.  Our
numbers have reached 30 with 6 more coming in next week.  I just don't get
it.  I am in the position at this time where I should have started turning
them away since we are so full, but I have decided that I should at least
take the last batch so that they don't end up somewhere they shouldn't be.
The latest round of excuses have been that "they can't afford the ferret
anymore".  I hate that excuse.  It makes me mad.  I don't work and I run
this shelter full time in my home.....my old man is the one that brings in
the money to run this shelter from his job (and it's not a high paying job
either).  Well he has been "unemployed" for about 5 weeks now (and without
any unemployment checks because it was an injury on the job and it has to
go to through the unemployment council thing first before he can draw and
it may take months) and we have been out of money for at least that long.
We technically "can't afford the ferrets anymore" but we are doing it
anyway.  We don't have a bank account or any hidden cash.  We have been
surviving on the $100 that we had stashed the first of November.  We are
fresh out of money, but we used it for ferret food, hairball remedy, and
one vet bill.  We didn't buy ourselves food and we haven't paid our
electric, cable, gas, or phone bill.  They are way behind.  So the way I
see it is that if we can still afford to take care of the ferrets during
our "hard time" then why can't some of the people out there make a little
more effort to hang on to their ferret's until the bad time passes?  It
will take a lot harder times then this for us to stop loving the ferrets
and doing what we do.  I guess I will be seeking employment next.  Sorry,
but I just had to vent.  Some people just give me the most lame excuses!  I
am sure other shelter's have heard it before too.

Michelle (HeadFerret)
Little Orphans Ferret Shelter & Rescue
http://www.homestead.com/littleorphansferrets/index.html

Unique ferret and animal art custom made by Linda.
Linda's Scratch Art Images
http://www.homestead.com/lindasscratchartimages/index.html