From:
Jodie Bohlmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 12:24:24 EDT
Hello All!

A while back somebody asked for stories from people who used to hate
ferrets, then found they loved them.  That's me!  I've always been an
animal lover, but one animal in which I had no interest was a ferret.  My
attitude was that they were nasty, stinking, biting weasels.  Besides,
anybody who grew up with Winnie-the-Pooh knows that they're the bad guys
(as in Heffalumps and Woozles).

That was all before I heard my first "dook." I was innocently browsing in a
pet shop after picking up some ferret food.  (Yes, ferret food.  I have a
hedgehog who will eat nothing but ferret food.  I used to be embarrassed to
buy it because I didn't want anyone thinking I actually owned one of those
things.) There, in a big cage, sat a tiny ferret.  She just looked up at me
and seemed to be asking to be held.  Before I knew what I was doing, I had
already asked the clerk to let me hold her and she "dooked" at me.  All I
remember thinking at the time was, "She can talk!  This cute little thing
actually talks!" I didn't realize that she was really putting a weasel
spell on me.

She had some powerful magic, too, because the next day I found myself
driving back to the pet store, even though it was in a different town and
I knew I could not spare $150.  I went straight to her cage and had been
holding her for several minutes before I noticed the "sold" sign.

I considered myself lucky.  I knew I wouldn't have been able to resist her.
But the ferrets of the world knew they had another convert!  Somehow, word
got out, and in less than a week a friend of a relative decided they could
no longer keep their ferret and guess where she landed?  My living room.
Coincidence?  I don't believe in them anymore.

Now she is the light of my life.  She never bites, she smells wonderful (at
least to me) and is the most delightful, entertaining creature I've ever
known.  Someone on the list once said that if you loved your ferrets, you'd
just naturally know how to care for them.  Another person said that you
never stop learning better ways to take care of fuzzies.  I believe it is a
combination of both truths.  When you love your animals, you will do
certain things naturally.  And one of those things is to search (and keep
searching) for better ways to care for them.

For example, my baby came in a cage with a wire floor.  How did I know this
might not be comfortable for her little feet, or that she would probably
like some old T-shirts and a shoe box?  Instinct?  Natural caring?  Or was
it that ferret magic working again as she communicated her thoughts to me
without my realizing what was happening?  On her first night in a strange
home she at least had a comfortable place to sleep, even though I knew
nothing at all about ferrets.  But I never would have guessed many other
important ferret facts if I hadn't found some wonderful sources of help
including this list, several books, Sara from F.UR.R.Y.S.  (thank you,
Sara), and a video tape from the local library (I'll go back to find the
name of the tape because it was awesome).

I think it's funny that she came to me for free, but, with vet visits,
toys, treats, special litter, and cage stuff, I have already spent more
than the initial $150 that I thought was too much for an animal.  It no
longer matters.  I wouldn't give her up for anything.

In fact, I'm already experiencing something I believe you call "ferret
math"... No!  No!  Must resist!... Ooh, oh!  I think I feel ferret magic
taking over.  Resistance is futile!

BTW, as far as I'm aware, my ferret has never dooked.

Jodie &
Natasha Delilah Weasel Woo:  You are getting sleepy ... very sleepy.  You
have an irresistible urge to bring me a friend, Mom.  Heh heh heh!