From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 1995 08:07:43 PDT
Re: Sleeping with your ferrets

Mike and I had always been more comfortable with the "kids" in their cage for
the night. We felt it was safer for them (no groggy humans rolling on them)
and if any emergency should arise, we could get them quickly. We started
letting them have "nights out" occasionally when we were out late or they
just hadn't got enough out of cage time. Well...since getting the 2 new kids
(Atlas and Hijinx), Squirt and Pippi have been given greater freedom at night.
Squirt tends to sleep on the bed more than Pippi, probably since he is more
needy of human affection and attention then Pippi. They do, on occasion, start
up the scratch-olympics - usually digging at our legs and feet. (My husband
says that it's a sign that they love you since they are putting you in the
same category with dirt - which they *ABSOLUTELY* love!) We usually scoop
them out of the covers and put them on the floor when they won't stop digging.
They come back.....usually this takes 3 tries before they give up scratching.
They start to get the idea that scratching=no bed and they do really want to
curl up with you. It's so adorable when they curl up at the back of your knees,
small of your back or so on. They are such loving little creatures.

The big thing is this: you have to be careful when sleeping not to roll over
on your little buddies. You have to train yourself to roll over carefully -
partially waking to do so. I wouln't recommend letting your kids sleep on the
bed with you if you are a extremely active or sound sleeper. You may roll over
on your kids accidently.

Re: Vaccination reactions/rabies vaccinations

Squirt has a severe reaction to rabies vaccinations (IMRAB). The first annual
boosters he had for distemper and rabies were given at the same time so we
didn't know for 100% which vaccine he had problems with. The second year we
separated the shots, had him pre-medicated, and he had another serious reaction
- this time we knew it was the rabies vacc. He will no longer be vaccinated
against rabies since he goes into an anaphalactic (sp) reaction even with
pre-medication. It is life-threatening to him. Even though we had this
experience, it will not stop us from getting all the necessary vaccinations
(save rabies for Squirt) for all our kids. The risks are too great -
canine distemper is 100% fatal and rabies...should they come across an infected
animal in an outing or escape, they will be protected. If one of the ferrets
bites someone, you may be able to convince the bitee not to report the incident.
It could sway the balance of your pleadings. The chance of a reaction is
very small and so very worth the risk. Please:
     - Get your ferrets vaccinated against canine distemper and rabies
     - Make two separate visits/appointments for the 2 vaccinations
     - Discuss any concerns you may have with your vet
     - wait in the waiting room for 30 minutes after the shot - just in
       case. What's 30 minutes vs. your kids having a serious reaction
       after you have driven 10 minutes away from the vet's office?

To: Stephen S. Bai <[log in to unmask]>

Wow! Siouxsie and Plake look remarkably like Squirt and Pippi!!!! ;)

-kim, mike, Squirt (the centerfold for May's issue of "Ferretgirl"),
Pippi (likes Squirt's picture on the romance novel, "Untamed"), Atlas (wonders
if he can pose too and go by the name Ferio), Hijinx (says: "Fabio, Ferio,
Ferretgirl...who cares?! gimmee some toes to bite!")

Kimberly Burkard        |              _
Xerox, Rochester, NY    |       _____C .._. fu-til'i-ty   n. 1. an act having
[log in to unmask] |  ____/     \___/  no useful result  2. herding
[log in to unmask] <____/\_---\_\    ferrets.