From:
"Palone, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 1996 10:37:34 -0500
Hi All,
I am new to the FML and am hoping some of you might write me if you have
experienced a similar problem or have any suggestions.  Our male ferret
"Bandit" will be 3 years old in a few weeks.  He is the only ferret we have
and our first experience with ferrets.  In the last month we have began to
notice (bi-lateral) hair loss on the back of his neck.  He has also gotten
less playful and heavier recently.  The hair loss has spread from the back
of his head, down his neck, and then T's off across his shoulders.  Just a
few nights ago, I noticed that he has lost hair on the underside of his
tail.  In the last few days, he hardly plays at all.

From what I have read on the internet, it sounds like it may be an adrenal
gland problem.  However, I thought the hair loss usually began at the tail
and spead up.  We live in a very small town and our vets know very little
about ferrets.  I have found a vet in a neighboring town who has seen
ferrets.  Hopefully he will know a little more.  We will see him Wednesday
morning.  In talking to him on the phone, his thoughts were the adrenal
gland or even thyroid.  Does anyone know if thyroid can cause hair loss?
The vet said we will probably take blood and send off to run the two tests.
Will an adrenal gland problem show up on a blood test?

I guess my biggest question is "Has anyone had a balding ferret that was due
to anything but adrenal disease?".  I would appreciate and enjoy getting any
type of response.

                Thank-you,
                Karen Palone