From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 1995 11:02:50 CST
TIMMY
Alright! A celebration is in order. We are so happy to hear that Timmy has
received a clean bill of health. It's a miracle. Are you going to continue the
herbal treatments even though he seems to be cured? And, we we're so sad to
hear of your baby, Squeekie, passing away. Perhaps you should write a book on
dealing with a pets cancer. I know when our ferret was diagnosed, we were
at a real loss as far as finding any written material on treatment or
coping. We were only able to find literature on people that addressed both
issues and we read them anyway but I think it would be wonderful for you
to share your experiences, medical (alternative & western) and emotional, in a
formal way. I think it would be applicable to people who share life with
all kinds of animals. I have a friend who's cat recently died of cancer and
her experience seemed very close if not identical to what I went through with
a ferret (even treatmentwise) I'm sure it would be likewise with any other.
With your experience, it seems you would be more than qualified...

TO DALE
I have heard of ferrets with enlarged spleens for no reason and once the spleen
is removed voila! No problem. But, then an enlarged spleen can be indicative
of a lot of diseases too. I suppose you really won't know anything until you go
to the doctor for x-rays and blood work. Good luck. We'll be thinking about
your little ferret.

HI FELLOW TWINCITIAN
Well, when I read your post about trying to find 8 in 1 ferret food I tried to
remember where I had seen it. I have gotten other 8 in 1 products from Fish &
Pet on 66th & Penn, and so I called them and asked if they had it. No, they
don't. Although they do get other 8 in 1 stuff like the ferret treats and
ferret vitamin paste. So, then I called up Vivarium/Twin Cities Reptile
(the most educated retailer of ferrets & ferret products I've found yet in the
Mpls/St. Paul area - do you agree?) and when I asked "Yes, could you tell me
if you carry or are able to get 8 in 1 ferret food?" I GOT THIS MOST AMAZING
TIRADE OF HOW TERRIBLE that food is. The owner went on and on, low protein,
a lot of soy, barely any meat, not enough fat, sugar filled raisan gravy,
never never never feed this to your ferret, only feed them Totally Ferret or
Marshall Farms. I was truly amazed. She was so adamant - that 8 in 1 food
is worse than grocery store cat food she said. I told her I had heard that
some ferrets really liked it - and she said NO NO NO - not EVEN palatable.
Hmmm, I just wanted to share this opinion of someone that I *think* usually
knows what they're talking about.

TO GARY KASKEL
I know the issue is closed - but I agree with you. Stay passionate and don't
apologize.

ABOUT BYPRODUCTS/BONE FRAGMENTS
I used to feed my cats and ferrets cheap canned cat food as a treat now
and again. BUT NOT ANYMORE. One of my cats ended up having surgery to remove
a stomach full of bone fragments. He had been wretching quite a bit for
a couple days - I brought him to the vet - they did an x-ray and thought that
his stomach was filled with a mouse because so many bones showed up on the
x-ray. They decided that the mouse wasn't going anywhere and needed to be
removed. When they opened him up they found a bunch of canned cat food and
a whole pile of BONE FRAGMENTS. So, needless to say - no cheap canned cat food
anymore for the cats or ferrets. I only feed Iams now. About, Freddie, my cats
only howled for a couple days before settling into the Iams routine. Tell your
mom to resist - it's worth it. (No more weekly barf to clean up either).

Charlene