From:
Cynthia McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 1996 09:56:59 -0700
Hi I am new to this list, my name is Cindy.  we just recently bought a 1
year old Ferret (1 month ago), her name is Tinker, which converts easily to
Stinker we she gets into things!  I don't know much about coloring but she
has dark chocolate markings.  She plays every waking moment and follows us
everywhere.  Her eyes are bright, her coat shines & she uses the litter box
or paper 98% of the time, thank goodness!

Ferrets are illegal, according to city agencies, within San Antonio City
limits.  We got lucky, we found out that since we are a military family
living on Federal land that we can have Ferrets as long as we keep them on a
leash & on post & shots are up to date.  Would love email from anyone in my
area who has a ferret - [log in to unmask] or Web Site:
http://www.netcom.com/~erthlnk/

Just some thoughts:
Chicken Bones - I worked as a Veterinary Tech.  many years ago before going
into nursing and saw some small animals who had died or were in the process
of dying from intestinal blockages from eating bones (excluding knuckle
bones).  Post-mortem exam showed that the bowel was scarred, blocked, and
sometimes perforated with sharp bits of bone.  Dosen't always happen but is
a horrible way to die.  :(

Paper Shredders-If you have one, don't leave the switch on automatic shred,
I found Tinker happily sticking toes and tail into the paper feeder, close
call since I had just by chance turned it off.

Fert Home - Found that thrift shops have playpens that are in good condition
for under $20.00, you can buy thick clear floor runners and punch holes in
them and secure them to the inside of the play pen to prevent climbing out,
put in a litter box, toys ... you have a ferret home!  Once Tinker got use
to us we cut a hole out in the bottom with a tube to the floor and she goes
in and out as she pleases.  If I need to confine her while cleaning ect.  I
plug the tube.  You can get very inventive and build/ suspend all sorts of
things in the pen.  Folds up to go too!

Tinker,SO,& myself thank you all for your suggestions & great information :)!