From:
"JEFF JOHNSTON, EPIDEMIOLOGY" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 1995 15:18:51 -0500

>>I just took my ferret to the vet yesterday for the first of his series of
>>Ferrvac-D.  I was driving home and not 10 minutes later he started puking
>>and shaking...

Michael Dutton subsequently wrote on Dec. 9:

<...snip...> Ferrets do have a tendency to develop more allergic reactions to
vopposed to dogs and cats.

OK. Time out. I get really confused by discussions of allergy and allergic
reacon the FML, but I hear physicians, nurses, and other health professionals
misuse terminology, too. Maybe someone can clarify things for me here. I was
always taught that a TRUE allergic reactions occur only when an animal is
exposed to an antigen that it had been previously exposed to. My immunology
book characterizes allergic reactions (type I hypersensitivity) as follows:
"Hypersensitivity is characteristic of the individual and is manifested on
second contact with the particular antigen evoking hypersensivity."
[Immunology, Roitt IM, Brostoff J and Male DK, Eds. CV Mosby Company, St.
Louis, 1989, p. 19.1.]

By this definition, a ferret receiving its first exposure to Fervac-D or any
other vaccine, could *not* experience a TRUE allergic reaction.  If this is
the case, then we are doing a disservice to ferret owners by erroneously
describing such reactions as "allergic." This may lead ferret owners to
believe that their pets are at risk of an anaphylactic reaction to a vaccine
following an allergic reaction.  Ferret owners will then stop vaccinating
those pets.  This may needlessly jeopardize the health of any animal who may
*not* be allergic to the vaccine and may not be sufficiently immunized
against distemper.

But the question remains...what *are* these first exposure-reactions to
vaccines? Is it serum sickness (type III hypersensitivity). Is this a mild
reaction to the attenuated virus?  Is this the result of individual lots of
vaccine in which virus has mutated back to a slightly more infective form
for ferrets?  (Fervac-D is not a totally dead virus.  It has been adapted
for a non-mammalian host [chickens] and then freeze-dried.  Some viruses,
notably influenza, routinely jump species from birds to humans in a
pathogenic form.)

So what's the verdict. None of the above? All of the above?

My apologies if this discussion is overly technical but I think we would be
well served to have a clear and highly specific definition of these
reactions rather than calling *any* response to a medication, vaccine or
food an "allergic" reaction.  That may prompt us to make the wrong decision
to protect our fuzzbutts from infection.

Another issue altogether...Citrus.  My goofball ferret Stimpy *loves* to
play with citrus fruit.  I think he likes the aromatic oils released when he
scratches a lemon, lime or orange.  He seems to like lemons most.  He'll
climb on top of the fruit with his upper body mantling it, and with his
nails extended he'll scratch/roll the thing around the floor, usually trying
to maneuver it into a corner, under the sofa, etc.  He has not yet tried to
chew up the fruit or get through the rind to get at the pulp inside.  I
think most of this is a fascination with (1) rolling it (he'll do the same
thing with potatoes but loses interest sooner) and (2) with the smell.  My
other ferret will play with a citrus fruit if he sees Stimpy doing it, but
he never initiates the behavior on his own.

It's quite funny to watch this and I wonder if anyone else has noticed this
or if anyone can think of an objection to allowing him to do this.  I
vaguely remember that orange oil is mildly toxic (I used to read the Merch
Index for fun...I definitely know too much about science to go through life
in a care-free state of mind.  *Sigh*).  Any suggestions would be welcome.

--Jeff ([log in to unmask])
(See, not one pun :)