From:
Lynn McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 19:11:17 +0000
>From:    Melinda Wood <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Duck Soup
>Has anyone seen a recipe for duck soup that is all natural??  I would
>prefer to give her one that was all natural insted of one full of
>synthetic and artifical flavors, colors, and vitamins(synthetic).
>How well does duck soup work?  Can I feed it to a healthy ferret as treat
>when I give it to my other one?

Hi Melinda!  We have a great all-natural duck soup that my husband cooks up
on the stove.  Slowly but surely we've convinced all the fuzzies that it is
a grand treat so that, if one gets ill, it is not nearly so hard to convince
him or her to eat.  I have read ingredients in Sustacal and worried and
wondered what in the heck they all are?!  Also, I don't want to feed dairy,
dairy substitutes (not knowing what they are) or a lot of sugar.  I feel
better going a more natural route for our fuzzies.

Janos dries egg shells and grinds them up for calcium.  The biggest
ingredient is ground turkey, but there are others as well.  Just a little
karo syrup (optional) added.  Our adrenal fuzzy (on Lysodren) and his great
buddy stand side by side lapping it up (and wait in the kitchen while its
cooking, too!).  It has put good weight on both of them.  Gadzook always
tended toward the slim side, no margin of error for illness, and now has
some to spare.  Gadzook "purs" while eating, too!  Even Tarzee, who screws
his whole face up when presented with anything gooey, now scrunches up his
eyes and laps away with the best of them.  Our other four love it as well.
We give it often enough that they remember their "treat" soup.

I'll be happy to send the recipe!

Lynn Mc. and purring fuzzy gang