From:
Paul Murfett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 12:57:20 +1000
I finaly received an answer from the Queensland official to another of my
questions from a week or so ago (see earlier post) regarding fixing of
ferrets.

RE: 'fixing' of present
>allowable pets(ie. is it a requirement), limited numbers, your policy if
>ferrets  were 'fixed' & limited numbers?

I assume you mean desexing?  There is no requirement to desex allowable pets
(i.e. animals that are not declared pests) under our Act.  There may be laws
relating to desexing of cats, dogs etc under various Local GOvernment
regulations (depends on where you live).

Ferrets are illegal as pets throughout Qld regardless of number kept or
whether they are entire or desexed (same applies for most declared animals).
We have found that any relaxation of laws such as this one quickly become
impossible to police and control (with existing resources).  It is my
experience that restrictions need to be 'black and white' (either you can
keep something or you can't) to avoid confusion, avoid costly administration
of permits and make enforcement more practical.

Steve

...............So its gonna be a struggle but I plan to get as much accurate
info on subjects such as ferals, rabies, polecats, history etc as I can and
*then* make a big push for ferret legalisation.  Any help from other ferret
lovers ( detailed info, and both for AND against arguments) would be greatly
appreciated.

        Thanks to All
        Paul Murfett.