Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 23:40:00 EST
I was early to deliver donations for the animal shelter today.  People
were bringing in animals they were letting go of.  I know that a number
of people here run shelters and work unending hours, and spend great
deals of money, and sacrifice to give to the shelter ferrets.  I have
seen that every shelter has its own way of doing things.

One of the cat and dog shelters I donate to is a kill shelter.  The
husband and wife have a small house, garage, and large yard, and seperate
housing for the cats and dogs.  They have been around for at least 12
years.  They make enough at the shelter to pay for the animal care and
their home.  They are desperate for new vehicles.  But still-they make
enough at their shelter to survive.

The concept I appreciated was that everyone who had a pet to dump had to
make a $40 dollar donation.  The animal is sold for $70.  The cats and
dogs have to be 4 years or under, and teeth have to be clean, and shots
up to date.  Food bowls, carriers, cages, cat and dog toys are to be
brought in so they can be sold.

There is a waiting list of over a year at the no kill shelters.  So people
come here to dump their "pet." The dogs must be pleasant and people
friendly.  The same goes for the cats unless there is a lot of room-like
now.  There are several there now that are not ready to adopt out.  They
are fear biting.

I know that most of you with shelters already would cringe and say that
you would never be that picky, ask for only young, healthy animals, and
expect $40 in donations along with cages, carriers, and toys.  But for
those of you thinking of helping the ferret community in your area-it
might be something YOU would consider.  It obviously does not help the
old or the sick.  But it saves some ferrets.  It is better than nothing.
And it has saved thousands of animals at the shelter here.

Lisette