From:
Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 18:38:35 -0400
"TinyPrintsOnTheHeart.com" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I guess my beef with hammering a business who is selling items to make a
>profit or their living is that, you as a consumer must educate yourself
>and can't rely on any store to offer you "just the good things for you."
>Food stores and restaurants, for example, sell all kinds of things that
>are not really good for you......too much fat etc.  But it is up to you,
>when you go to these places to make healthy choices.  We don't hammer a
>food store to remove "all fatty foods" or all "high in carbohydrate"...

I guess my (our shelters ) take on this is that Ferret clubs,
organizations, rescues and shelters ARE the educators of the general
ferret owning populace.  AS such, it is WRONG IMO of rescues to market
these known unhealthy treats.  In doing so it appears that these are
great for the ferrets.  Subliminal suggestions are that if the shelter /
rescue sells it it must be ok.

With yogurt treats, dried fruit treats and the like we are doing the
ferrets and those who care for them a great injustice.

At Ferret Wise we continue to carry Totally Ferret Treats, Cheweasle's
and Foamy Fires as to date those have not been determined to cause health
problems when fed in small amounts.  I challenge other rescues to clean
house with the high carb treats and let the public know that they are not
in the best interest of the furry ferret friends they adore.

Alicia, shelter Mom
www.ferretwise.org