Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1993 20:59:15 -0500
     Charlie in reference to you question about taurine I
unfortunately have had some experience with taurine deficiency
(according to my vet).
     "Taurine" as defined in Webster's dictionary is " a crystalline
compound occurring in the muscle juices of invertebrates...the word
comes from taurus which means bull because it was first found in the
bile of an ox."
     It has been found that taurine deficiency in cats has caused
blindness and heart problems. This is were I get to the unfortunate
part. My first ferret Hun-Hun was given dry dog food for the first
year of his life. I got Hun-Hun from my nephew who had been feeding
him what the pet store had been feeding him and that was dog food
(not even puppy food!) I had started to notice that Hun-Hun was
running into things and the first vet I took him to could only
tell me he was going blind but not the reason why. The second vet
diagnosed taurine deficiency and started him on a supplement but
by that time the damage had already been done. He also had developed
a heart problem called cardiomyopathy due to insufficient taurine.
Of course I started feeding him high quality kitten food but
I still blame myself in a way for not getting more information
about ferrets and nutrition. So please look for taurine in
any kitten food you feed your baby. I have found that some of the
so called ferret food lacks taurine as does dog food. The Iams
dry kitten food does have taurine since that is what I feed my
two ferrets. Of course it is a possibility that Hun-Hun's illnesses
were not from the lack of taurine but why take that chance.
     I only wish that I had known about this ferret list a few years
ago because I have learned so much from everyone.
     Also Charlie about Xmas trees and how dangerous they could be,
I would highly recommend that you keep Jazmine away from it.
I have read that the pine tar and water that the tree stands in could
be toxic to cats. And certainly ingesting pine cones and needles
can cause intestinal blockage. So please keep an eye on that baby,
they are just too precious to lose!
     Well I hope this hasn't been too long.....

                                     Judy and two very much loved
                                     ferrets, Weezul and Teebone.