From:
Ronnie DiComo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 1997 19:13:40 -0400
I talked to a very helpful legislative aide in Michigan today.  He said
there is support for the ferret cause in the legislature, but they don't
know what they can do until the fall since everything takes so long.

I asked if the legislature come up with some kind of public statement--not a
law, just something like a resolution--in support of Kodo and ferrets.  He
liked that idea; please--can other people contact reps and senators to keep
the idea alive this week.  Also, they hadn't heard what the judge's decision
was so I told them.

He said there is someone in the Dept. of Agriculture (possibly governor's
appointee?) who is actively using outdated and unscientific studies to say
that ferrets are wild, etc.  and who claims that they won't change anything
until CDC says it's okay.

The aide also said that the legislature has gotten very good factual info
from all across the country on rabies which has influenced legislators in a
positive way.  Wonderful!  Keep it coming!

Mich. legislature contact info: http://www.migov.state.mi.us/

     Ronnie DiComo