Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2011 08:57:11 -0400
To protect them from the sun in the car or the elements I took a piece
of polar fleece, trimmed it to cover the hard carrier and cut a slit
for the carrier handle to go through. Polar fleece doesn't unravel so
needs no sewing. I can slide the belt buckle through the handle of the
carrier that way. When I get to the vet I can just drop the polar
fleece over the opening if needed for weather. I leave the carrier set
up and on their floor minus the door so they don't get their head stuck
between the door and carrier wall. They get more comfortable with being
in it and it's set up for an emergency. When the door goes on they know
its time to go and they get right in.

I also schedule appointments early in the summer time to try and beat
the heat. The car can get so hot sitting in the parking lot even when
making a quick Lupron run. Another option is to leave them in the
clinic and go run the ac to cool off the car before bringing them out.
In winter I schedule appointments later, figuring they have time to
clear the roads if needed.

Another thing is I always make sure I have gas in the car. I don't want
to have to stop with them in it. We keep up with the cars maintenance
as well, wouldn't want a preventable breakdown with the kids in the
car.

Tracy