From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Aug 2003 17:07:38 EDT
Ah, Hotlanta as we call it here in the south.  There are so many things
to do in Atlanta, as you saw from previous posters.  But lets look at it
from a natives point of view, shall we?  Nobody can show you the south
like a native.  Lots of native southernors will be there to help guide
you around, show you the sites, and show you the good eats.

A really interesting sport about that you might want to try is "graplin".
Now it sounds like a joke, but it is not.  It's done at night which makes
it a perfect thing to do while in Atlanta enjoying the Ferret Symposium.
It requires no equipment whatsoever, except perhaps an expert grapler to
show you the ropes, and some old clothes and shoes.

Put on your old shoes and clothes, and make your way to a huge stream, or
part of a river (can you see Julie Fossa in a get up doing this?).  Wade
out there in the dark.  When you feel a rock by your feet, dive down
there, and feel your way around the rock with your hands.  What you are
looking for is a hole... large enough for a catfish!  When you find one,
blindly go for it.  Reach in there up to your elbows, and feel around
for the tail..... becareful not to get spined by these defensive suckers.
Grab the tail and yank.  Pop up out of the water with your prize and
wrestle it onto the beach.  Proudly announce "tell yew whut, that be a
biiiiiiig one".  Grab a beer, enjoy, repeat.  Catfish Graplin's been done
by the natives in the south for generations and is challenging.

Do not fall prey to the old southern trick that befalls many a
yankee/foreigner.  If a southernor asks you if you wanna go snipe
huntin', politely turn them down.  Example: "Tell you whuuut, maybe
another time, I got critters to tend to.... yeah buddy".  There is no
such thing as snipe.  :) They'll take you out late at night, with a
flashlight, and leave you to hunt this ficticious creature... while they
enjoy the beers and the entertainment you provide them.  Now that you
know about this trick.... it might be fun to turn the tides on your would
be kidders.  Maybe you could hide a ferret in your shoulder bag that
you'd use to hunt so called "snipe", run out of the woods, tell them you
caught one, and have them take a peek in your bag at the fanged creature!
With it being so dark, and beer being in the picture, they will surely
have a start at this!

Now all ya'll might find this post and my last post not very "pc", but
I live here, and every word of it is the truth so help me God.  My pals
down here will smile and nod their heads in agreement.  Everything I
joked about is part of, though only a tiny part, of the culture down
here.  Southernors are gracious and kind people with grand senses of
humor and most refreshingly ... can laugh at themselves.  ........yeah
buddy!

Wolfy