From:
Melanie Hough <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 14:08:18 -0500
Wed. night I had the surprise of my life.  I had just gotten back from my
boyfriend's house after he talked me into leaving my Daisy with him for 2
days.  I live on a dead-end dirt road on the Tuckasegee river in NC.  It had
been raining for a couple of days but when I got home the river was fine.
Cassidy (my other fuzzy) and I were just about to go to bed when there were
lights shining in the house from across the river.  I walked out on the
porch and my neighbor was outside trying to figure out what the people were
saying.  It was the rescue squad and 3 dams had been let out and a there was
a flash flood.  We were already trapped in because the water immediately
came up to our knees on the road.  Two men in wet suits appeared and said
that we would have to hike out (My house is on the side of a mountain which
is very steep and the river is on the other side).  I said I had to get
Cassidy and they told me that I couldn't take any animals because the hike
was rough.  Of course I told them that I wouldn't leave without Cassidy so
they agreed to let me take him in a bag.  Normally when I close him in
anything, especially a bag he goes nuts scratching to get out.  It was as if
he knew that it was important for him to be still because I put him in a
zippered tote bag with a blanket and he didn't move a muscle until we were
safely in the rescue squad truck.  Maybe he sensed my fear and knew that I
was trying to make sure he was safe.  My biggest worry was that I would fall
on him because we were walking on wet leaves and we all fell a few times.
The rescue guys thought I was crazy because I had a huge backpack on my back
and him around my neck.  They all wanted to see the "furry thing".  The
adventures never end.  By the way, there was no damage to my house or car,
it just took a while before we could drive on the road because it was washed
away.

Melanie