From:
Diane Burman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 1998 09:04:38 -0400
Hi Gina -
I was a brand-new first time ferret owner (2mos) of 2 - 2yo males when 1 of
them blocked.  Of course this was a Sunday nite so we rushed to an emergency
clinic.  $500 later he was still blocked & they recommended euthanasia.  I
took Bandit to a local vet who was a skilled surgeon but not terribly ferret
knowledgeable.  She also could not unblock him & performed surgery to
"reroute" his plumbing physically changing him to a "she".  He was in IC,
touch & go for a week & it cost me another $1200.  Less than 6mo later he
blocked again (something I was told couldn't possibly happen with his new
"plumbing"!).  I was referred to a local vet. surgeon who wanted $800 cash
up front & still didn't think Bandit would make it.  I just didn't have the
$ (was still paying off the previous $1200!).  To make a long story somewhat
shorter, I made *lots* of phone calls & found a *very* ferret knowledgeable
exotics vet 2hr from my home.  She saw Bandit right away.  Her diagnosis:
adrenal tumor!  Now remember - Bandit was only 2yo when all this started!
Her explanation was the adrenal tumor caused the prostate to swell which
inhibited urine flow, causing stones to form (this is my understanding, as I
remember it over 2yr later).  Adrenal surgery was immediately & sucessfully
performed & Bandit was put on a course of meds (sorry, don't remember what)
to shrink the prostate.  Cost of surgery was about $200 - $250.  Over 2yrs
later, Bandit is a very happy & healthy little boy.  If I'd only known
enough back then to take Bandit to this exotics vet when he first blocked,
I would have saved myself *alot* of money & saved poor Bandit alot of
surgery & suffering.

My point of this whole story?  Investigate whether the blocking ferret could
have an adrenal problem which adrenal surgery could correct.  Apparently
they are never too young to develope this - Bandit was only 2yo.

Good luck to you & the fuzzy,
Diane & the gang

PS Bandit had *no* adrenal symptoms prior to his blocking (such has hair
loss, etc) so we had absolutely no warning that his adrenal was acting up.