From:
"Bryan H. Hall" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 21:49:58 -0600
You know, I think I had my first true breakthrough in understanding
ferrets... or at least, understanding myself as a pet of ferrets.

Truth be told... I ENVY THEM!  They seem so happy all of the time.  They
curl up with eachother and snooze away, and wake to play the play of the
carefree.  They are totally free to express affection to eachother and
anyone they choose to, when they choose to, regardless of where they are.
They care not for complexities... to them, the simplest of things are the
most entertaining.  They don't need to worry about getting the latest and
greatest anything (except for raisins and ferretone, and other delicacies).

I look into the ferrets cage and see them curled up in a pile... and for a
brief instant, I know that if it were possible to pile on with them as a
ferret, all would be well.  But then the moment passes... and I know that we
are the guardians of these ferrets..  it is we who work so that they can be
so happy.  And so it gets a little easier, to know that you must leave them
for eight or more hours soon..  but always the longing to join the
ferret-pile.

Is it me, or is this one of the un-written qualities of a ferret person?  We
gotta unconsciously at least want to join them as a fert... at least for a
little while...

        --Bryan