From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 1996 07:34:16 -0500
To Karen:

Our shelter has recently received a number of "older" ferrets - around 4
years or so, and we have ours routinely screened for insulinomas by having a
fasting blood glucose level checked.  We've been getting readings in the 50
- 60 range, so I suggest if your ferret is 4 yrs or older, if you have no
other blood work done, check the glucose level!

Learn the signs of low blood sugar - they are there long before a ferret
will have an outright seizure.  Look for imbalances in their gaits, look for
more-than-normal shivering and shaking, look for heavy sleep patterns.

I realize with shelter ferrets it's a little harder when you don't know what
they were like in their previous homes, but once you've learned to recognize
the signs, they are not really hard to pick up.

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY