From:
Michele Paulhus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 2008 19:21:50 -0700
As I read Diane's post about the McKids and how much has happened in
a year--it brought to mind some of the other moments that I (and we)
experienced with them....both good and bad--but all of them emotionally
moving...

I remember the first moment that I met Goliath and he crawled up my
chest, nestled in my neck and decided that I was going to be his
forever Mama.

I remember when Pippy (now Pippin) would latch on to my finger or toe
and for a while, I couldn't figure out why I was the only one she
bit--until it dawned on me, that she was trying to carry me off--under
the bed, under the dresser--because Mama was her favorite toy.

I remember the first time that Dudelee (now Krechure) was brave enough
to crawl up my back (I was lying on the floor trying to look as
harmless as possible) and stick his nose in my ear.

I remember Levi (now Oscar) biting me to the bone --and trying calmly
to get Diane off the phone (she was facing the window and didn't see
what happened) as he war danced in a puddle of my blood (which other
than feeling bad about the stress he was obviously under, I still find
kinda funny)

I remember the first time I was able to pick up Levi with leaving a
blood trail while I ran for the band aids.

I remember watching their fur turn soft and healthy and watching their
eyes come alive.

I remember finding Twitch on the stairs and him looking up like "oh, Hi
Mama--what's happening?" (I'm still not sure how he got out of the room
and ended up having to bungee cord the martin playpen we used for his
cage, closed)

I remember giving Turbo kisses and him deciding that I needed a lip
piercing -- and having to ask for help to pry him off (by the way --
he still tries that with me--for some reason, he likes the way Auntie
tastes. LOL)

I remember sitting in the room at the Emergency Vet with Goliath --
thanking him for coming into my life and telling him how much
I loved him -- and telling him that I would see him at the Bridge.

I remember Blazor walking in the grass behind the vets office right
before Diane and I made the painful but necessary decision to let him
go--and he stopped one last time, lifted his head up and turned around
to make sure that we were still behind him.

Every moment is burned into my heart and I feel blessed that these kids
came into our lives. It wasn't easy, but it was worth it!!

Michele Paulhus South Shore Ferret Care

Listen to the musnt's child, listen to the don'ts. Listen to the
shouldn'ts, the impossible and wont's. Listen to the never haves,
then listen close to me; Anything can happen child, Anything can be.
~ Shell Silverstein