From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2007 12:38:45 -0400
From E Mead:
>I was just curious as to what is best, health reasons or whatever,
>for a hob when being neutered, is it best to leave his scent glands
>in or have them taken out and why? I plan on eventually adding
>another ferret to my business and am curious.

Dear Eleanor -
My recommendation is to always leave them in. The anal sacs are easiest
to get out in young kits - as the animal matures, the anal sacs tend
to become more desnsely attachd and larger, and the chances of an
incomplete removal and complications later on (like chronic draining
tracts) are much higher. The normal feret only expresses the glands
when frightened or amorous, and you are taking care of the second one
by neutering him.

Save yourself a headache and put up with the occasional fishy smell.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM