From:
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 23:52:00 -0700
>From:    Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: A Breeder's Concern
>When the breeder was told this she told them to have the ferret put to
>sleep!  [...]  This person is a respected judge & breeder.  In my
>experience she has been rude to other breeders, owners, and the "public"
>with questions.

We can't imagine any of the AFA judges not any of the LIFE judges acting
this way.  If she or he was be sure to write to the respective organization
and protest!  But we suspect that more likely this person is from a smaller
organization.  That sort of response is not the kind that gets you respect
from either the LOS/LIFE or the AFA organizations.

>I am concerned because she is out there telling people to solve a problem
>she created by putting the animal to sleep!

All of the breeders we know and respect feel responsible to the ferrets that
they breed throughout the ferrets lives.  We went out of our way (okay not
very far) to help place a ferret from Chicago years after we placed her as a
kit.  The breeders we've "swapped" with are forever inquiring about their
kits we've adopted.

You seem to be describing a "mill" not a hobby breeder.  Even Marshall and
Path Valley are more responsible for the ferrets they place (though perhaps
more for business reasons) than the breeder you describe.

>What can be done about this?  I don't want breeders like that giving the
>good breeders a bad name.

This is going to be somewhat hard.  If this "breeder" is getting some
"protection" from the organization where she or he judges there will be
complaints of politics if anyone from outside that organization's leadership
tries to do anything.  We have gotten this if we question certain policies
of folks in such positions.  But is an organization that is that protective
of "badness" really worth doing political beating around the bush?  Before
acting though it is quite imperative that your information be accurate.  One
step would be to send a thoroughly documented accounting to the groups that
profess some national scope.  And to the groups that are regional in your
area.  Michigan has the GLFA and we believe and LOS division.  Avoid
emotional shading of the facts; use instead a strictly factual tone.

>From:    Sandy Repper <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Breeders,etc.
>I decided to put in my thoughts on breeders.Since I bred show cats for 20
>years,I've seen it from both sides.Yes,I know ferrets are different,but
>the principals are the same.

Very much the same.  We've bred dogs (okay two litters) and now pygmy goats
and in general things there are a lot of carry overs (well the goat stable
isn't too much like the inside of our house).

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]