From:
Millie Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2013 12:11:21 -0600
well do "I" feel foolish. Found out the entry I was asking who wrote
was MINE. I was taken back as it was NOT a slam against Tom and Cindy's
rescue. The original did not even mentioned who the first rescue of the
month was going to be. And it wasn't a slam against someone wanting to
get donations either so I didn't recognize what entry they were talking
about.

I was making suggestions like taking applications for the funds instead
of just giving it to someone cause they are a shelter. You all know I
think highly of SOS - they are doing this - helping the ones in
trouble. And I contribute my personal funds to them automatically. The
rest I pick and chose as I can afford it.

I knew I didn't get the point across that people get sick and tired of
donating donating and donating. But when a particular cause comes up
for a certain ferret or shelter running into trouble - like Rabbit or
Cindy's - people leap in and give with their heart. How much better
than just say collecting donations to give to any shelter because it
is a shelter.

I do give to fundraisers, I buy stuff and tell them to keep it for the
next auction because we have more stuff here and we auction our own
stuff off in a live auction/luncheon twice a year. A rescue can't reply
on welfare or the good hearted people to support the shelter but ever
so often even the best run shelters get into a glitch they need to
reach out for help. What I thought I was reading was any shelter could
be picked to be shelter of the month and might not be in mortal danger
or have an emergency situation going on.

Susan does an excellent job, one of the best I have seen, at promoting
these auctions. She even puts out her pleas on our FB and to our
private email list, which we normally don't allow just anyone to do as
it is our source to raise funds for our rescue, where we try to keep
our needs among our own group. I feel if you start running donation
bids constantly without a specific cause for an individual need always
standing with your hand out, people bid less and less cause they get
tired of it, tired of buying stuff to support a never ending plea. This
can hurt the efforts of the needy ones when they have an emergency. If
you take applications and present a particular ferret or shelter as
the star of that auction, or a couple of them to divide the funds up,
(these are my thoughts) then people are more apt to contribute towards
it even if it means bidding on stuff just for that reason.

I apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings, I didn't mean to shoot down
these efforts. I think most of the people can see a lot of what I said
themselves, I did get emails thanking me for that post. The thing again
is how much better it would be to have particular ferret or shelter to
bat for rather than just having a shelter of the month. That was my
suggestion and never was I saying don't do it or it was bad or evil to
do or any such thing...........

This is all I am going to say on the subject period.

Millie Sanders, Director for the
Texas Ferret Lovers Rescue
with connected hospice and sanctuaries
www.txferretrescue.org