From:
daphne reddy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 2009 02:55:05 +0000
Hello,

I have been receiving the FML, for many years, but am honestly not an
active member anymore.

I have recently been following posts like I used to and am enjoying
reading the happy, sad, and even controversial posts!

I run a small shelter in West Central Illinois, I actually have been
doing this on an extremely small basis for years, but in the last 2
years more and more ferrets seem to come in to me. Originally I kept
the ones I took in, sending a few out to ferret friendly families I
knew. But in the last year or 2 it has gotten to be so many that I
have started having adoption days at the local Humane Society and at
the local pet store.

This week I have been invited to participate in a Pet Expo, where I
hope to educate the public a bit more on joys, frustrations and
occasional sorrows of sharing a home with these incredible little
animals.

I was interested in finding a bit more out about SOS, in hopes of
being able to connect more with people in my area looking to adopt, or
just learn more about the ferrets they may already have. I also am
interested in talking to anyone with more experience than I have and
although I have been owned by ferrets for over 15 years, there is
always more to learn.

I have great support from my local vet, Humane Society and Pet store,
but worry that there is still more out there to learn. This is also all
done out of my pocket, so suggestions for financial assistance may be
needed in the future. I currently have a deal with maintaining a large
saltwater aquarium for my vet office, which really helps with the
bills!

This has been a light year for taking in babies so far, but last winter
I took in a lot for me. I realize I am small compared to some of the
large shelters out there, but want to be prepared.

Any thoughts, suggestions, and even critiscism will be read. I fear
without helping these babies, they will often be destroyed, and I just
cannot live with that.

Sincerely,
Daphne
Forget-Me-Not-Ferrets