From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:51:43 -0700
Jumpin Fuzzbutts,

Let me try to answer your questions without being long winded:

 >Situation: -- lost one of the boys.  Our Merlin is about 4 years old
and
 >had been with his companion since a baby.  Merlin is having a hard time
 >coping without his buddy.
 >
 ># 1 ~ We have a chance to adopt a very young female - probably less
than
 >a year old?  She does not appear to be spayed as of yet....it is not a
 >problem having her spayed
 >
 ># 2 ~ We can adopt a " bonded pair" of females about 3-4 years of age.
 >Spayed.  But one is a biter.
 >
 ># 3 ~ We could adopt all 3??  IF......my husband will go for it!!
 >
 >Is there one choice that is the best?  Second?  Third?
 >
 >With work and love - will a 3-4 year old ferret come around and stop
 >biting?  Is it possible that it could not get along with ours and bite
 >and cause harm to our Merlin?

There are a lot of questions that you have to answer for yourself and
your family though about all three situations.  Get all 3 - that would
be
great --but-- do they get a long?  Will they get along with your current
ferret?  Can you take on all of the added responsibility of 4 ferrets?
Everyone has a different limit to the amount of ferrets that they can
care for and be happy with the time they get with the ferrets.
sometimes
it's just 2 other times its 20.  It is up to the person.

Some ferrets just won't get along with others.  If this were to be the
case with your kids, would you do separate play times for them for the
rest of their lives?  Have you seen them?  Played with them?  Taken your
ferret there to see and play with them?  Remember, the new additions are
for him.  so it would help to see if they get along first, no matter
which one you choose.

As for the biting.  We had a horrible biter come in when we first
started
the shelter.  She was an abused breeder ferret and would bite down to
the
bone (and yes, that hurts!).  After a couple months of handling and love
and "'training" on all parts.  She was able to be adopted out.  She
still
had to learn to trust her new dad, but she did great with him.  We see
her once a year.  and she looks great and isn't biting anymore.  So,
yes,
they can stop biting but you have to be willing to get bit and willing
work with the ferret and learn.

I know that didn't answer your questions too well.  but mainly, you have
to decide for yourself which one you and your whole family (including
Merlin) want and get along with.

As for my opinion.  I'd see all the ferrets, and see if they can get
along.  If a couple got along with my ferret then I would take them all
and the ones that didn't get along, I would have separate play times.  I
think that 3 or more ferrets is better because if something should
happen
to one there is still another buddy.  But, as I said, every situation is
different with everyone.

Also, talk with the shelter that has the ferrets.  Let them know your
concerns and thoughts.

Feel free to contact me if you need anything.

Joanne Ruffner
Ferret Corner Shelter
www.geocities.com/ferretcorneraz