From:
Bonnie Tormohlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 May 2013 14:45:14 -0700
There seems to be a great deal of food bashing erupting lately.
Salmonella scares, too much of this vitamin, not enough of that one,
issues with peas, "contaminated" raw foods...the list goes on ad
naseum. Might this have anything to do with last years directive to
the FDA to step up inspections of pet foods? I don't know. I do doubt
however that there is a sudden rash of contaminated foods. I would
discourage anyone from repeating hearsay and conjecture found on other
web sites and presenting it as any sort of "proof" that a problem
exists. The recently posted Consumer web site is just one example. I
won't go into detail about this site, because the owner has a long
history that can be found on the internet if one takes the time to do
their research. I will suggest you read the legalese at the bottom of
that particular site to learn users are trolled for class action suit
filings by unscrupulous law firms.

Am I saying you should disregard hearsay reports of pet food issues?
Absolutely not! I see these as a basis for further research. I am
saying you should do your own intelligent research. If you suspect
your pet food has made your pet sick, then spend the money and have it
tested. Check with the American Council of Independent Laboratories or
your local University lab and find out where to take your food. If your
pet gets sick, do the responsible thing and have blood and urine tests
done. If your pet dies suddenly or unexpectedly and you suspect
wrong-doing, have a competent necropsy done.

Looking at the FDA web site, it would appear no food is perfect. Look
at the recalls just over the past year:
<http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/default.htm.>
Mind boggling if you ask me.

With today's easy access to virtually any information about any
subject, hearsay allegations abound. I work in an animal hospital, and
one question I ask every client is "what diet is your pet on". Would it
surprise you to know that I have to press and prod to get an exact list
of foods pet owners feed their animals? Would it further surprise you
if I said it is rarely the case that a pet is being fed a single source
of food? Pressed further, the majority of clients will admit Fluffy and
Fido are getting a variety of other treats and supplements. So I ask
myself, "how do these people know one particular food is responsible
for sickening their pet"? The answer is, they usually don't.

There are indeed many things to be paranoid about in today's society.
I suppose the point I am trying to make is, promulgating pet food
hysteria based upon what Bobby-Joe's-aunt-told-Rita's-cousins-boyfriend-
last-summer is irresponsible at best. Be informed consumers and pet
owners. Seek out information from reliable sources that offer evidence,
not hearsay and conjecture.

btw....I don't really know Bobby Joe's aunt.

Regards,
Bonnie Tormohlen
Managing Director
Northern Arizona Ferret Alliance & Rescue, Inc