From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 1995 02:38:27 -0700
To Sheena Staples:

>My veterinarian refuses to put ferrets to sleep without administering a
>gas that will render him unconcious [first]...  The total charge for this
>process is $80.00...  He tells me that the gas is what is so expensive...

    I've heard of some tremendous rip-offs with ferrets, but this one is
really egregious.  While I applaud the use of some type of anesthesia prior
to euthanizing a ferret - and gas is the best way to go, the amount of gas
needed to euthanize a ferret is negligible - let's say, for argument's sake
- a dollar (and I am overestimating here, but it's a nice round figure.)
then the euthanasia solution (two dollars - tossing in compensation for the
vet needing a controlled drug permit, etc.) Now the vet is allowed
something for his time and hopefully, a good bedside manner - perhaps an
office call ($25).

    I think thirty dollars is reasonable (for those vets who would charge
anything.  Many vets who had treated an animal all of its life for a good
client would probably do it for cost or for nothing.) But $80?!!!!  for an
animal who is suffering?  Outrageous!!!

    There is nothing wrong with a vet charging what the market will bear.
But there is also nothing wrong for looking for a vet with ethics,
compassion, and who won't lie to you about the cost of practicing medicine.

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP
Dept. of Vet Path, AFIP
[log in to unmask]  OR
Chief Pathologist, AccuPath