Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 12:38:07 -0800
Hello everyone . . . . Jennifer again with a DIFFERENT question about my
Sasha and Snowy.  In addition to Snowy's hosiery fettish (see previous
post in this list), I've noticed that both of my fuzzies have recently
been going through some kind of intense scratching phase and I'm totally
up in arms as to how to help them.

I remember being told or reading that ferrets tend to naturally scratch
at themselves as if they are scratching at fleas, moreso than other
animals, so I'm ok with that and this has never really been a problem
with my kiddos.  But lately, they've been REALLY scratching at themselves
to the point where they literally RUSH out of their beds in the middle
of the night (making a very loud thump on the cage bottom as they fall,
which wakes me up!) and sit outside their cage scratching away (thump,
thump, thump) for about a minute or two.  I mean these kiddos are
scrambling to get room to scratch and I feel SO bad for them!  THEN I've
noticed they each have a few very small dried scabs on various parts of
their bodies and I'm wondering if I have to actually take them to the
doctor to get it checked out ???

Because I thought that they had been exposed to external parasites
somewhere, I first washed all of their bedding, lightly sprayed it down
with their regular ferret flea spray, and also sprayed the kiddos down
after a good bath.  This has always worked just fine in the past but it
seems like now, none of this helps.  I did this again just last weekend,
to no avail again.  I'm wondering "Are they allergic to something?"  (I
use the same laundry detergent as I always have and don't use fabric
softener, as always)

HELP!  What's going on????  Is is the weather?

Jen, Sasha and Snowy (itching for help!)  :-)