From:
Melissa Sullivan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 21:07:06 -0000
Okay - I think there was a mix up at Marshall Farms.  I have two beautiful,
gregarious sable ferrets (Fee and Milly Grace).  Despite their Marshall
Farms certificate and physical appearance, there is nothing ferret-like
about them!  Okay, well maybe the pooping thing.  They are quite spoiled,
although they prefer to be called "sophisticated."

They hate ferret treats - except Cheerios, which isn't even technically a
ferret treat.  They prefer the dresser drawer (especially the one with the
cashmere sweaters in it - ARGH) to their many sleep sacks and hammocks.
Fee begs like a dog when anyone sits at the table or attempts to cook
anything in the kitchen.  They eschew ferret toys in favor of cat bizzy
balls, mini M&M containers and little people (the Fisher Price child toys).
Oh yeah, and Fee's bear.  With the exception of shoes and the remote
control, they do not take anything that isn't theirs.  They come running
out of their sleep den when someone buzzes the apartment buzzer to inspect
anyone who dares to cross the threshold of their home - food delivery
people especially.

They HATE going outside and act as if it is some sort of torture to be
in any sort of natural environment.  They hate the beach.  They hate the
"field" that is my Mother's back yard.  Snow?  You've got to be kidding
me.  Their pristine feet would rather be bound together than subjected
to the cold and wet.  They don't like to swim in the tub - even when the
weather is hot and humid.

So, I read with great amusement all of the stories of ferret behavior since
after almost 4 years, I have yet to see it from my own ferrets!  Could they
be defective or just completely adapted to urban living?

Sorry for the silliness - just thought we could all use a little more of
it!

Melissa Sullivan