From:
Celeste Jacob <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 09:48:12 -0300
Hi there everyone!

First, I want to offer my deepest condolences to Bob for the loss of your
sweet Apollo.  I am so sorry to hear this and want you to know you are
both in my thoughts and prayers.

As for my problem . . . my Ferris is a 3.5 yr. old neutered male.  Every
since I got him from his previous owner in February, he's had loose and
grainy stool - occasionally, green.  It was tested and found to have no
bacteria or parasites.  The vet thought it was paraprostatic cysts caused
by the adrenal(s), so he had exploratory/adrenal surgery on Monday, 5/14.
In short, the entire left, and an abnormal lobe on the right were removed,
they biopsied the liver and a slightly swollen lymphnode.  No cysts,
inflammation, or blockages were found.  The good news: lab results came
back NO CANCER ANYWHERE (Yeay!), but that the left gland was, in fact,
normal.  Hmmm!  What possible problems may occur now as a result of taking
a normal gland?!?!?

Several days after the surgery, his stool was still the same.  The vet
called Saturday to say she had an herbal product she's had very good
results with to try on him called Pet Defense.  Basically, its a
power-cleanser for the GI system.  He gets 1/4 tsp.  per day in his mush.
It looks and tastes like dirt, but he likes and eats it.  Whew!  The bad
news: his stool is STILL THE SAME as ever!!! <sigh>  What am I going to do
now?  The vet said the next step is to "worm" him, whatever that means.
Then, if that doesn't work, try him on a short course of Pred.

I would love to know if any vets or anyone else on the FML or FAIML have
any ideas on this.  I shudder to think that this is "normal stool for him"
after just putting him through this surgery. :{  But I seriously doubt it,
as its my understanding that grainy stool means that they're not digesting
properly.  Is this correct?  Any help/suggestions would be SO very much
appreciated.  I don't want this ongoing problem to result in some other
serious complication down the road.  I'd never forgive myself if I didn't
do all I could to figure out what'g going on here and help him beat it!
Please feel free to email me directly, as that would be quickest!  Many
thanks to you all.

Celeste (Dusty & Ferris) >> The Dooks of Hazard